Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Get To Know "Duke Da God"



Who doesn't know who Duke Da God is? I would be blown away if somebody said they didn't know who the brains behind the beats was to alot of huge Dipset songs we all know and love. So get to know who Duke Da God is and enjoy this interview.

NYC: Outside of producing, do you want to branch out into other areas aside from doing what you are doing?
DDG: Uhm.......
NYC: Like, do you want to rap?
DDG: Nah........nah! I don't wanna rap at all! I'm pretty stern with what I do. I don't wanna rap at this point in my career. (Smiles) I feel like I'm a good coach. This is my direction. Maybe my position might be dying out like a dinosaur but this is what I do. Most people have home studios to eliminate the A&R but as for giving direction to the artists..........that's always needed.

NYC: But as far as other areas, is there anything else that you want to do? Like maybe acting or working on a movie or doing videos?
DDG: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah! I definitely want to do more producing outside of Diplomats. I'd love to score movies! I'd love to have a position with a major label where I can sign acts and just do it like that on a major level.

NYC: Now, just thinking back for a minute, I saw a clip of Tru Life and he was calling yall (Dipset) all out and he called you "Duke Da Broad".
DDG: (Laughs)

NYC: I was shocked when I heard that because I thought that the beef was just Tru Life and Jim Jones and that's where it ended. It just seemed like he brought all of yall (The whole Dipset) into whatever was going on.
DDG: (Nods his head)
NYC: Am I wrong? Do you want to elaborate on that?
DDG: That situation is pretty much dead to me. Duke Da Broad? That's crazy!! It's kind of crazy to hear somebody slander me like that. You know everybody is trying to sell records to do what they have to do to get on. So......I like to make hot music.

NYC: So, you're not really going to address that?
DDG: Nah. It's nothing to really address. Everybody takes shots, you know, when they are trying to come up. So he's just trying to take some shots at us. Like on some commando shit.

NYC: Now another issue I would like to address is Max B. There seems to be some kind of drama where he feels like Dipset kind of left him when he was in a situation.........going to jail.
DDG: Max B is a birdgang artist. So I look at Max B like his situation wasn't with the immediate Diplomats. He was under Jim. It wasn't Diplomats, it was the co-op. He was on the outside.....so that bounced off the Diplomats. Even though it's under the same umbrella we still had that pancho on but we didn't get wet. He was signed to Jim and birdgang. Not Diplomats.

NYC: Now that you said that. What is the difference between Diplomats and Birdgang?
DDG: Jim Jones has a group called Birdgang. It consists of other artists outside of the Diplomats. So to separate them it's N.O.E., Chink Santana and the rest of them.

NYC: I also try to get personal outside of the gossip.......so on that note, I always ask this to every artist, how have the ladies been treating you?
DDG: You know. (Smiles) I get laid alot!!!!

NYC: If you had your chance to smash anybody in the industry who would it be?
DDG: It'll probably be..........(he pauses to think) maybe Alicia Keys right now. I like Alicia Keys.

NYC: Any particular reason why?
DDG: Nah, I think she's dope. She could sing. We could make love while she's singing to me. (Laughs)
NYC: (I laugh)

NYC: Do you have any kids?
DDG: Yeah, I have a daughter. She's 9 years old. She lives in Harlem. She's growing up like how I grew up.

NYC: No wifey?
DDG: Nah.

NYC: Ok. I would assume not with the "laid alot" comment.
We both laugh.


NYC: Being that you do have a young daughter, how does she affect how you go about doing what you do?
DDG: She's proud of me. I get up and I do it for her. (Smiles) I know how it is. When I pick her up from school she says "They don't believe me Daddy!" I go to her school and everybody is like "Wow". So she's proud and that's good.

NYC: Do you seek out other producers?
DDG: Yeah! I'm not foolish! My job is to find the best music and give it to the artists so they can make records. My job is not to make all the music. That's not how I see it. My job is to get the best look possible.

NYC: Are you working with any other producers or are you the sole producer for Dipset?
DDG: I got an in house producer. His name is A. Raab. He's dope! He's yound and I'm going to show the world what he does. He does some ill shit! I never saw anybody do what he do!!! I'm going to showcase what he can do. I don't know how I'm going to do it..........I know!!!.........I'll put him on your blog! (We all laugh) I also got a radio show on XM. Channel 66 every Thursday from 8-9pm.

NYC: XM? Is that the same as satellite?
DDG: Nah, there's Sirius and there's XM. They're both satellite.
NYC: Ok. I got Sirius.
DDG: You got Sirius in your car right?
NYC: Yeah.
DDG: I got Sirius in my car too. (Smiles) I got the converter. You can buy the converter. You can have Sirius and XM in your car.

NYC: What can people expect from your radio show?
DDG: All that exclusive music. My show is like a breath of fresh air. If you like street music, hot rhymes and hard beats then you'll love my show. My goal is to have you entertained and at the same time satisfied with the music. You can check out my website called DipInTheMix.com.

NYC: Do you have a myspace where people can reach out to you?
DDG: Yeah. My MySpace is myspace.com/dukedagod.

NYC: Any other websites?
DDG: Dipsetmixtapes.com or they can reach out to me at dukedagod@gmail.com.

NYC: In closing is there anything else you would like the people to know?
DDG: I got the new album coming out, More Than Music Volume 3, coming out this Halloween. I don't rap, I put numbers up. I been puttin numbers up for a couple of years now. Holla at me!!

NYC: Thank you for taking the time out for me to interview you. I appreciate you.
DDG: It ain't nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES