Monday, April 27, 2009

Russell Simmons + Walmart= Great Men's Clothing and Social Entrepreneurism



Russell Simmons understands the Economy of Fashion
By Abba A. Onyeani
Ceo-The Black Urban Times


I don't really get into the fashion thing that much, but when I was shopping by myself one day I saw Mr. Simmons likeness in the men's department at Wal*Mart. I was shocked! Could the great Russell Simmons do it again? Of course. The hoopla that I'm talking about right now is the American Classics line of men's clothing that Mr. Simmons is selling at Wal*Mart. The clothing is another way that Mr. Simmons is giving back to the community through capitalism and qualities of social entrepreneurship. The article written by Dr. Watkins about the Rush Card failed to speak about the relationship of the Rush Card to economic exclusivity.

The divide of class is very apparent in society today. The Rush Card touches base on some of the problems of that divide through social entrepreneurship. The very idea of a card that the less fortunate can use to help them secure credit or save money can only help a community. This brings me to the American Classics clothing line. I like many other brothers of my age grew up listening to Run-DMC and 2pac. I immersed myself into hip-hop music and the culture. With the culture came expensive clothing, and that's where I had a problem. The lyrics of today's rappers touch base on subjects that deal with poverty in their community, but when they make a clothing line the prices are out of reach for most of the 18-34 black males that grew up in the hood.

With American Classics Mr. Simmons has hit the nail on the head a few ways with making great looking clothes that are affordable ,stay true to hip-hop culture, and look good on me..which by the way makes my wife happy..so I'm good. The clothing gives new meaning to quality and affordablity, while staying connected to the culture of hip-hop. The social entrepreneur finds a way to connect to capitalism while still giving back to their community. Russell Simmons has set the blueprint for social entrepreneurship that Black Intellectuals should study, before coming to the conclusion that its "All about the Benjamins".

1 comment:

  1. Social entrepreneurism can rejuvinate black america and help the less fortunate. There's money out there "lets get it" and solve problems.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES