Thursday, December 31, 2009

Teddy Riley Releases Statement About Beating Incident


by Alicia Cruz
Theblackurbantimes


Singer Teddy Riley has released a statement in reference to earlier reports that he mercilessly beat and menaced his own daughter.

While Riley's statement does not specifically address the allegations made by his daughter or the restraining order, it does ask the public to "let this one go" and clearly says that he loves his children, but will not be "disrespected" in his own home. Riley stated that the incident is a misunderstanding stemming from a dispute over money.

Click Here For Taja's ( aka Cha Cha Maria) MySpace Page


Riley's 18-year-old daughter Taja Riley filed a temporary restraining order against the New Jack Swing artist, claiming that she and her older sister were "stomped, punched and threatened with a guitar" during the beating.

The restraining order says Riley must remain at least 100 yards from his daughter Taja.
Taja Riley/Myspace

Riley explained that he "spoiled his children over the years", and his daughter’s allegations are merely a response to him being a "stronger disciplinarian".

In his statement for TMZ, Riley had this to say: “I love my daughters, but I will not allow my children to disrespect me in my home. Contrary to what I have been accused of, I would never beat my children. Perhaps, I should have been a stronger disciplinarian as they were growing up. I worked very hard so that my children would want for nothing.

In hindsight, I see that it was a mistake to give them everything they wanted so that they could have the childhood I never had. Unfortunately, they have taken me, and the privileged life I have given them, completely for granted.”
Riley, Daughter Taja and Friend During Happier Times

Riley's statement went on to say: “Instead of being appreciative and realizing how fortunate they are, my children have an inflated sense of entitlement and expectation without having to work or earn their way. However, my 'children' are no longer children, they are adults and I am trying to instill in them values and a work ethic of their own.

I am not an uptight Dad, I am as hip as they come but I will not tolerate being disrespected, especially in my home… I'm asking everyone to let this one go... I'm only being a good parent. I'm a great father and everyone who knows me, knows this is true.”

Taja and Riley have a January court hearing.

©2009 Theblackurbantimes
Media Outlets must credit The Black Urban Times


No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES