
Why did you decide that you wanted to be part of the Miss Universe pageant?
I initially just wanted to compete in the local pageant in Guyana to bring a fresh new look to pageantry in my country and move away from the stereotypes that models cannot be intelligent. Once I achieved that at home, my goal for competing in the Miss Universe Pageant worldwide was to promote my little known country as much as possible and also improve a few perceptions people may have had about women from the Caribbean region.
Who are some people that you look up to each and everyday that make you who you are?
I actually don't have specific role models, but I respect anyone who never accepts mediocrity but is constantly trying to improve themselves. This can range from the smallest child trying to learn how to tie their shoe laces, to the Oprah Winfrey for not letting her modest background and many struggles dictate the level of success to which she would ultimately rise.
What was the process like to become part of Miss Universe?
Well as you know most countries have a local competition where girls from all over the country compete for the chance to represent their nation in the worldwide competition. Guyana is no different so I first had to cross that hurdle which was especially difficult this year because the competition unfolded in 2weeks, whereas in the past girls have had months even to prepare. From the beginning though I was a crowd favourite so the all round support definitely propelled me through the competition. Preparation included daily dance rehearsals, trips to the gym, speech and etiquette training, photo shoots, media pow wows, etc. For me in particular it wasn't always easy because I'm actually not a fan of all the glamour and make up and heels and the like. But I stuck it out because I saw a bigger purpose in doing it - the chance to change an entire country's perception about beautiful women and then even more so on a global scale.
Once you found out that you made Miss Universe what was your first thought and how did you feel?
Yess!!! The prizes are all mine!!! I'm going to Vegas baby!! In yo face! And thank you God. <---- Something to that extent I would assume...can't quite remember because it all happened so fast. I was surprised, thankful and elated all at the same time. Even though I was quite confident throughout the competition, with these things you just never know.
To know that millions of people are watching such an intense moment and every detail, did that make you nervous?Oh yes! I was horrified! But luckily I work well under pressure so it made me want to do even better. I definitely do not recommend doing Miss Universe to the faint at heart though haha!
Since this experience, do you see your self doing another pageant?
Maybe. As of now I'm in extreme relaxation mode after doing this pageant so soon after graduating from University. So probably not in the immediate future. But later if I find one with a cause that's worth it, its likely that I'll jump on the opportunity.

How has this experience changed your life and you as a person?
I learnt so much from this pageant....about other people and cultures, but more importantly about myself. In a short time I was thrown out of my comfort zone and had to find and assert myself in a room full of just as eager individuals. I was somehow able to remain calm, proud and hardworking, even with all the odds against me. At the end of it I came out happy with my performance, even more self aware and self appreciative. I gained a wealth of knowledge about the fashion industry, perceptions of beauty, politics, media etiquette, etc, and was at the same time exposed to 82 different personalities, cultures and versions of beauty. Plus I learnt quite a few useful make up tips!
Do you feel that from this point on that you have many other offers and opportunities that will open up for you at this point?
Yes definitely. That's the beauty of these pageants: it puts you in a position to be noticed and with that comes many other opportunities in fashion, advertising, television, social work and even education. Already I have been approached by several companies to get on aboard with their ad campaigns in the upcoming months.
Tell us about Guyana and how being Guyanese has help influence your life and belief?
Oh wow, I couldn't possibly tell you about Guyana in so little room haha. So apart from the basic stuff like Guyana being the only English speaking country in South America, is still over 80% forested, home to some of the world most rare plants and animals, has 6 different ethnicities, cultures and religions all in one little country and considered both Caribbean and Latin American, I can tell you that we are mostly a warm, conservative and extremely diverse people. We take pride in simple joys and as a nation are constantly seeking happiness for our communities and families. And so with me, my success is tantamount to my family being happy and comfortable. I grew up in a Christian household and thus try to embrace morality in my daily activities and be an overall genuine person. Being Guyanese has also helped me to be a fighter. We are a small nation but with giant passion and drive for respect and success. Basically Guyanese have a knack for dusting themselves off and chasing after even brighter stars.
How did your family feel when you told them that you were going to be part of Miss Universe?
The females in my family were so excited! The men, not so much. I guess that was just their protective instinct stepping in as they understood the implications of their daughter/sister being in a bikini publicly. They eventually came around though and so on pageant night my family monopolised quite a bit of the pageant venue.
What is it that you like doing in your spare time?
I like to pretend I'm a top notch music producer and critic haha! So I listen to a lot of music and may even burst into song and dance if I'm having a particularly good time. I'm also into photography and graphics design. And I guess being domestic because I love cooking and cleaning/washing a lot. You know honestly I have so many interests and things I love to do that it really just depends on the day that you catch me. It ranges from snorkelling, to public speaking, to blogging, to just walking and site seeing, travelling, having friends over, the whole nine yards...
How many languages do you speak?
Just English. Although Guyanese have a certain tongue, like most Caribbean territories, that is a play on the English Language that we call Creolese. Its a certain dialect that sounds like broken English splashed with a few made up words/expression and spoken with a very rhythmic cadence. Add that to our British Caribbean accent and I guarantee an American English scholar would swear its a different language all together.
What would be a positive and negative outlook about being part of a pageant in general?
Hmmmmm there are many on either side but if I had to choose one randomly, I'd say:
Positive: the cultural learning experience
Negative: possible self adjustment to impress/please strangers
What would be some advice that you would want to give to young girls that look up to women like you?
For pageantry in particular, don't do it to discover or validate your self worth. Be comfortable in who you are first and then see the pageant as a chance to show others the beautiful you. Also, pay attention in class. Education goes a long way and is by far responsible for the opportunities that have come my way so far. That and a little bit of faith in God of course.
If you could change or do anything over would you?
For the pageant in particular, I'd give myself more time to prepare. I won my local pageant in two weeks and then two weeks later was whisked off to Las Vegas to compete internationally, too short a time in my book to truly be ready.
In general, as much as I love the person that I’ve become, I’d probably change the fact that I didn’t always believe in my abilities as a student, as family, as a lover, as a friend, etc. It took me some time to become self aware and I didn’t always see myself as even special or capable. As a result, I was hyper-cautious and would scarcely take risks or try something new. As I grew up though, continuous challenges faced and overcome in childhood and adolescence helped me to discover my strengths and overall made me so much more self aware and confident. Today I am able to embrace opportunities that I might have turned away from in the past if I had not curbed my timid nature.
Tweettwitter.com/thebutmsdotcomfacebook.com/theblackurbantimes
No comments:
Post a Comment
We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.