Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Derek Luke Talks New Show 'Trauma,' Dealing With Fame, and What Makes Him Squirm by Kenya N. Byrd



Some actors thrive on showboating while others simply lay low and showcase their talent. Derek Luke represents the latter and has since his critically acclaimed debut in "Antwone Fisher" in 2002. Although he has worked steadily, the Jersey City, New Jersey, native has carefully diversified his résumé opting for meatier roles rather than collect a paycheck just because. Now, he gets his hands dirty and hearts racing on NBC's high-octane medical drama "Trauma" as EMT worker Cameron Boone. ESSENCE.com sat down with Luke to talk about the one thing he fears the most, the benefits of donning a uniform, and maintaining a life of normalcy in a media-driven society.

ESSENCE.COM: So, Mr. Luke, how in the world did you prepare for such explosive action?
DEREK LUKE: There's a part of me that's on a mission to do the explosive, blowing up and jumping off the cliff into the sea and coming out on a horse. As far as my training, well, I jumped over train stiles and got past the cops when I used to travel from Jersey to New York (laughs). I remember only having a dollar to my name. Now how do you leave Jersey for Manhattan knowing that the dollar you have is for a hot dog and a drink? (laughs).

ESSENCE.COM: The special effects on "Trauma" look so real. What makes you squirm?
LUKE: (Laughs.) Needles! Big, bad..needles. It's like that first pinch of it, especially when they try to convince you it's not going to hurt and it's already been in you for longer than 10 seconds, and you're like, "Hello it's still in there!"

ESSENCE.COM: (Laughs.) So what do you love most about donning a uniform?
LUKE: I love the authority that comes along with it and I can see how people abuse it. It's amazing how people respond to authority and how some people lean so much on that uniform. One day I walked across the street while on-set in uniform and this guy who looks like he published books for a living was in a minivan and he stopped abruptly and I saw him easing his seatbelt on. I'm thinking, Good idea, but wrong uniform!" (Laughs.) And then another time I was in the ambulance and they let us drive for a few blocks; we're doing our lines and traffic doesn't stop, so I turn on my siren and it was like parting the red sea, and I couldn't help but think, "That's whassup!" (Laughs.)

ESSENCE.COM: So you created your own express lane! Love it! Is there anything about your notoriety you could live without?
LUKE: A situation like my wife and I losing our child because of a miscarriage reminds me so much of that little bit of my character and what people think they know of you and your identity on the outside, but the reality is that you're a different person when you return home. My wife and I had to learn that the rules of fame are that you must take time to rest for your soul and spirit to deal with the aftershock of people getting the wrong news, late news and or timely news.

ESSENCE.COM: We're sorry for your loss. Do you ever get used to your fame?
LUKE: It's very easy to remain humble when you know that the fame didn't come from you and that you are part of a mission or service. So it's easy for me to meet people or fans because the thing about fame is that it attracts, and when it does it's all about what you do with those people it attracts. I pressed pause on my TV the other day and I just sat there and looked at my name and the title and said, "Wow, my name is on the screen. This is what you really wanted. That's pretty cool and pretty big!" So I know that I'm blessed to be doing what I love.
read more

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES