Monday, January 7, 2013

JoeyPinkney.com 5 Minutes, 5 Questions With... Gloria Dotson-Lewis, author of You Got Me Twisted


About "You Got Me Twisted":

“You Got Me Twisted” is about a sixteen year old girl named Makenzie Pierce who is quick to fight anyone who rubs her the wrong way. When she finally goes too far, she finds herself in front of a judge who orders her to either go see a therapist to sort out her anger issues or spend time behind bars at the Juvenile Correctional Center.

Joey Pinkney: Where did you get the inspiration to write “You Got Me Twisted”?

Gloria Dotson-Lewis: “You Got Me Twisted”, as well as my first, “Ninety-Nine Problems”, was inspired by a small group of girls I use to mentor. I wrote a short story for them to open up dialogue about various teen issues.


JP: What sets “You Got Me Twisted” apart from other books in the same genre?

GDL: There are a lot of great authors who write young adult fiction like Earl Sewell, ReShonda Tate-Billingsley & NiNi Simone. I don’t know if my books are too far set apart from what they bring. I do know that my books add to a much needed YA urban genre. (read more) 

JP: As an author, what are the keys to your success that led to “You Got Me Twisted” getting out to the public?

GDL: I post on social media networks such as Facebook and Twitter. I also hand out bookmarks to random people, so I can strike up a conversation. I always keep copies on me to sale. I also plan on hitting as many book events as I can this upcoming year. (read more) 

JP: As an author, what is your writing process? How long did it take you to start and finish "You Got Me Twisted"?

GDL: This is only my second book, so I actually didn’t have a writing process. With my first book, “Ninety-Nine Problems”, I wrote the story as it came to me. With “You Got Me Twisted”, I did the outline first then added or changed things as needed. I think worked better for me. They both took me about seven months to write. (read more) 

JP: What’s next for Gloria Dotson-Lewis?

GDL: I’m currently working on book three which is the sequel to “You Got Me Twisted”. I’m also looking forward to hosting my first book club meeting with a group of teens in the near future. (read more)

Click here to read the entire JoeyPinkney.com interview with Gloria Dotson-Lewis, author of "You Got Me Twisted".

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES