Tuesday, August 2, 2011

TBUT EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Darryl Reed

Lil'D gives us his words with a big heart
By Ziti
Ceo
The Black Urban Times





How are you Lil 'D?
Honestly, under the circumstances I’m doing great. I realize that given my current situation and environment it could be much worst; so I don’t complain.
Life in California seemed to be a journey for you that had a rocket speeding into the fast life.


What do you think made you get into that life?
Watching my parents both work so hard yet continue to struggle was a contributing factor to my entrance into the “game”. I can’t say it was the lone reason, as there was always an attraction to the “game” which ultimately made my decision to embrace it and its principles much easier.

Growing up and being from a working class family must have given you some kind of life with normalcy..when did you get into the drug game?
My life was fairly normal as a youngster. I participated and competed hard in organized sports, hung out with friends, rode bikes, etc. My introduction into the drug game happened as an early teen when I would hold bundles of heroin for Felix’s crew to make a few dollars. The money was fast and as an impressionable youth; the lifestyle was intoxicating.

How has life in prison changed you?

Most importantly it has allowed me to analyze how I lived my life on the edge and how the misuse of my natural leadership abilities has had a profound effect on my life. Additionally, it has taught me to be patient and confident enough to understand that I can be successful pursuing any and all legitimate opportunities.

What regrets do you have? If any..
I'm going to be straight up; I don’t live my life regretting the decisions that I have made. Obviously, there are certain decisions I’ve made that definitely were not in my best interest; however, I'm wiser now and I think about the consequences. Additionally, it’s because of those decisions that I have made in the past that have enabled me to evolve into the man that I am today.


What do you think of the drug game today? Also, B.M.F...had a short run..what's your take on their crew?
Selling drugs is like playing Russian roulette! Additionally, it is the ultimate “trap” game. I recommend for people to read the book “Snitch Culture,” by Jim Redden or log onto the website for the book, they will think twice about entering the hustling arena. There are far too many informants in the hood and most folks are completely ignorant of this fact. Additionally, there’s no real paper to be any longer. Guys are taking penitentiary chances or worst; for absolutely no money!

Regarding BMF, I wish Big Meech would’ve exited the game a few years prior to the indictment and used his money to invest into real estate/entertainment or any other legal endeavor. Undoubtedly, had he done that, it would've been a much better ending to BMF.



In California, you're revered by most hip-hop artists in California, why do you think its the case?
When I started getting real money I made certain that everyone ate off of it. Additionally, I tried to make sure all the lower tier guys had opportunities to advance up the ladder. Moreover, I believe my accomplishments at such a young age and my reputation for keeping the violence to a minimum transcended Oakland. As a result, dudes from around the country started hearing these stories about how I handled my business and kind of lived through me vicariously. Ultimately, it would be foolish of me not to believe that a great deal of the reverence is based on how I accepted the consequences of my actions like real men are supposed to do without including anyone else.

Most young people are in college or working at age 20, but you were making millions in the drug game. How did you deal with your enemies and cops?
I'll say this; a wise man would've been better off to try any other drug dealer at that time rather than me. As far as the cops it was their job to try and bust me and mine to avoid capture; but at the end of the day they won out.

What have you learned from this experience? How has it shaped you as a black man?
No amount of money is worth me spending 30yrs behind these walls. I don’t care what some of these other dudes try and claim during these interviews, they all would love to be free; trust me. Additionally, I'm more conscious of what being a responsible man consists of which is something that I unfortunately was ignorant of as a young man.

Do you think you were unfairly targeted by law enforcement at that time?
Definitely not! I was selling drugs so the authorities had a right and a responsibility to target and consequently arrest and convict me. The unfairness manifests in the 35yr sentence, since there was no violence associated with my conviction. The mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines were, as they have since been altered, the most blatantly biased aspect of the American criminal justice system. This past August congress dramatically changed the sentencing guidelines; explaining that the previous ones where unjust. However, how can you claim a law was unjustly applied and not go back and retroactively apply the new law to the 1000’s that have been previously affected by it.

With at least 10 years left on your sentence..you'll be out by age 50+..how does that make you feel?
Truth of the matter is 2018 will be my out date if no retroactive changes are made with respect to the new guidelines. Even though this cliché is used far too often; it is what it is. Until the day that I am released I will continue to hold my head up high and focus on self improvement. I'm not looking for any sympathy from anyone. Would I like to leave today; yes? However, as I mentioned earlier, I have accepted responsibility for my actions as young man and will continue to move forward. All I can focus on is being a better and more intelligent man tomorrow than I am today. Whenever I touchdown I plan on being a legal force to be reckoned with.


What can young people learn from your story?
Crime doesn’t pay and very few ever get away without paying the ultimate recompense and your “shine” time is very short. My advice to any youngsters who are in the “game” or contemplating entering it, is to not follow the path that I chose for that quick dollar as it is going to get you in a lot of trouble. Moreover, philosophically speaking, the “fruits” from ill gotten gains are never as sweet as those that you worked for without having to look over your shoulder.



What plans do you have for music, movies, and books?
My book, Weight, was independently released in July 2010 and is available on Amazon.com or concretejunglebooks.com. The book is doing well and I am extremely proud of its content. It’s a true story, nothing has been embellished, and there was no ghost writing. I didn’t glamorize my life or the game; I simply told my story as it occurred.
Additionally, I'll be releasing a soundtrack to my documentary “Holdinweight” in the 2nd quarter of 2011, through M.O.B. Inc Entertainment with Yukmouth. Yukmouth has been relentlessly “reppin” the Bay for the past 16 years, and serves as the Executive producer for this project. We have the biggest artist in the bay (E40, Too Short, Yukmouth, Mistah FAB, Zar the Dip, etc) as well as some up and coming ones. We are quashing any and all petty beefs in the Bay Area and combining resources in an attempt to provide the consumer with all new songs and a quality product.
The documentary will be coming to a network or straight to DVD in the third quarter of 2011. Also, my producers are continuing negotiations with possible investors to secure the production budget for the theatrical release of Weight. Eventually, I'm planning on executive producing multiple projects in the near future.

Who's your favorite hip-hop artist right now?
My favorite artist, other than those from the bay is Jeezy, as he's consistent with his content.


Give me a vision of the 2022 Lil'D..who is he and what are his goals?
Middle aged man of redemption who has built a successful entertainment company, who continues to go out and speak to the youth in the community about the mistakes I made. Additionally, I plan on being a positive role model to my family and friends, while continuing to live a healthy life.

Thanks Lil'D..this interview was great!
peace Darryl Reed AKA LIL D 846PM 9TH
BUY DARRYL "LIL'D" REED'S BOOK HERE


twitter.com/thebutmsdotcom facebook.com/theblackurbantimes

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES