Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Ohio Woman Calls 911 for a Date, Lands in Jail


By Alicia Cruz
The Black Urban Times

One of my favorites movie quotes comes from actor, Tom Cruise in Jerry Maguire: "Have you ever gotten the feeling that you aren't completely embarrassed yet, but you glimpse tomorrow's embarrassment?"

Well, I'm almost positive the glimpse one Ohio woman got of her day-after an embarrassing drunk-dialing incident, was more like a blinding glare.

Police say Bernadette Music was having trouble finding love, so she during a drunken stupor, decided to dial 911 dispatchers in Norwood to find her Mr. Right. She got more than she bargained for when she wound up with a court date.

On July 26th just after 10 p.m., Music, who lives near Cincinnati, called 911 four or five times asking a dispatcher to help her find a date, Ohio's KDVR reported.

Norwood police dispatcher Vicky Schumacher told KYPOST.COM that initially, Music called 911 and hung up. When dispatchers called back, Music began pleading her case, right down to the type of man she wanted.

"She just proceeds telling me that she's looking for a date," said Schumacher, who has been a 911 dispatcher for 18 years.

During the call, Schumacher pretty much informs Music that 911 is for emergencies and not a lonely hearts club, but that did little to stop her from submitting her date request.

Below is an excerpt from the 911 recording:

Dispatch: Hi this is Norwood 911 do you have an emergency?….

Caller: I’m having a hard time getting a hold of…you know a date line…. everyone wants to (inaudible) with me around…. My name is Bernadette Music. And I look healthy I’m 5’1 and ok…I weigh 120 pounds….

Dispatch: Wow that is better than what I weight. (ANI)

When police arrived at Music's apartment, the inebriated woman refused to answer the door. When she did, she allegedly urinated on the floor outside the apartment and that's when the officers arrested her.

She was charged with disorderly conduct for both offenses and booked into the Hamilton County jail.

In an exclusive interview with Cincinnati’s channel 9 News, Music admitted that she gets lonely and sometimes she drinks too much.

"When you're lonely you get depressed and it gets you to a breaking point," said Music.

Though Music told Channel 9 News she wasn't embarrassed by the situation, she did say, "I couldn't believe I did that."

"I'm very brave and bold. I tell how it is, I told the cop a week ago I asked if they were salty because they weren't getting any of this," joked Music, who said she wasn't aware of all the media attention her stunt garnered until she returned from court Monday afternoon when her neighbors started telling her she had been on TV.

Abstemious after her night of drunk dialing, Music says she's taking it all in stride and is committed to her boyfriend Jimbo.

"I'm not ashamed of it. What the heck, it happened, I didn't realize I did that," said Music, who was arraigned and has another date with an Ohio judge in September.

In June, another lonely, intoxicated Ohio woman (photo above) made news headlines when she was also arrested for calling 911 five times within an hour. Unlike her fellow Ohioan, Music, Audrey Scott wasn’t simply looking for a date...she wanted a husband, recalled Christi Klimes, a veteran 911 dispatcher for 21 years who answered Scott's call.

"We've heard everything, and then someone like this comes along and you're still like, 'Oh my, gosh. She just did not ask for that,' " Klimes said.

(Excerpt From Scott's 911 call)

Scott: Get me that husband.

Klimes: You need to get a husband?

Scott: Yes.

Klimes: You're calling 911 to get a husband?

Klimes: Do you know you can get arrested for dialing 911?

Scott: Let's do it.

Klimes: You want to get arrested for dialing 911?

Scott: Absolutely.

Alliance police accommodated her. She spent three days in jail for the class four misdemeanor.

NBC4i Reporter Dawn Kendrick asked Scott if she was in fact looking for a husband, to which Scott replied, "I had too much to drink. I was feeling bad."

Has either of these women ever heard of Craigslist or Singlesnet.com? You might not end up with a date right away, but you definitely won't end up in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES