Friday, September 3, 2010

Police Woman of Memphis Meets With Neighborhood Students


One of the police women featured on the TLC show "Police Women of Memphis," officer Arica Logan met with children Thursday night at the Neighborhood School in Binghamton to sign autographs and talk about her job. Logan is one of four Memphis police officers featured on the half hour show.

Nearly 100 students, teachers and parents crowded into the small school's cafeteria to meet with Logan and ask her as many questions as they wanted. One student asked her if she'd ever been shot.

"No, thankfully, I've never gotten shot, and I've never had to shoot anybody," replied Logan, who added, "I don't wanna ever shoot anybody, and I don't wanna ever get shot."

Nine-year-old student Aminatta Sherif asked the three-year veteran if she'd ever beaten someone with her stick, which seemed to throw officer Logan off for a moment.

But Logan, 30, responded with a quick "No," prompting students to laugh, reported The Memphis Commercial Appeal.

What's your favorite part of the job?

"Sometimes you get to drive fast in your police car with blue lights and sirens," she said. "That is one of my favorite parts."

What's the worst part about your training?

"Everyone that goes through the academy has to get sprayed with your own pepper spray," she said. "It was just terrible."

And so it went, the kids so fascinated with Logan's TV celebrity that nearly every child lined up for autographs afterward.

"I watch it all the time. It's so different to meet her in person. I was so excited to meet her," 13-year-old Tea'Aira' Payne said. "She's the type that's sweet and nice (but) she's not going to take anything from anybody."

Logan agreed with that assessment, but it's likely the first half of the eighth-grader's comments will only provide more fodder for her fellow officers who have begun referring to Logan as "Hollywood," "Movie Star" and "Superstar."

"I pretty much get made fun of daily for something I said on the show, or something I did that was cheesy," she said.

The newfound celebrity also helps on the job, particularly when someone recognizes her as she's putting on the cuffs.

"It actually makes people more compliant, with situations that could be more intense," she said.

Of course, that recognition can be a bit of a pain, too. She's recognized everywhere she goes, and Thursday night wasn't the first time she's signed an autograph.

"I even went on a cruise to Mexico and had people recognize me," she said. "Anytime I leave (the house), I'd better at least brush my hair."


twitter.com/thebutmsdotcom
facebook.com/theblackurbantimes

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciates all comments and fosters free speech, however, keep in mind that we have young readers who peruse our site. Having said that, please refrain from using profane language, and know that flaming will not be tolerated. Spam will not be tolerated.

BLKUTIMES ARCHIVES